Monday, April 29, 2013

Essential Oils in Gardening

Gardening--it calls to my heart more each year.   But I don't want to use poisons on it, and that used to mean that my garden didn't do very well.  But I've gone organic, and it's doing better, and this year I discovered in a video that
Peppermint 
can  be a huge help in the garden!!  I'm so excited, and have already  begun to try it  as I've planted my tomatoes.

I saw the video on DoTERRA Pro but didn't see any links to post it on my blog or face book page, so I will do a write-up here. 

Video Write-up: 
In the video a lady named Connie Boucher, who is an expert at using essential oils in the garden, gives advise on gardening.  She had been gardening with essential oils for 18 or 19 years.  Here are some main ideas in the video:

  • Peppermint  in water in a spray bottle will  take care of a large percentage of garden pests, misting the plants lightly.
  •  DoTERRA is the brand of Essential Oils she uses now, because, while other brands worked, she found that they left a "sticky, filmy residue; with DoTERRA I don't have that."
  • A good "General Good For Everything Spray" is 
    •  8 oz. spray  bottle with water
    • 18 drops of peppermint
    • 2 drops of white fir   
    • Use more or less oils as needed  
  •  She starts  by spraying essential oils in the hole or furrow where she is planting.  Then she sprays the actual plant.
  • An interviewer commented that she personally used one drop of oil per one ounce of water as a general rule.
  • As a general rule, she uses Peppermint first; if that doesn't do it she uses thyme (in a different spray  bottle); if that doesn't do it, she will try cinnamon, clove, cassia, or On Guard.
  • You can also mist your fruit trees, but not with the expectation that it will kill all the worms.  Oils will cut back a large number of worms, but she said that worms are a natural thing, and you can cut around them--it's 'better than  putting poisons on your tree.'
  • When she cuts off a branch, she sprays the cut part with oils.
  • Connie Boucher sends her grandkids out with a peppermint spray bottle to spray ants, with no fear of poisoning.
I am so excited to use essential oils in my garden this year, and I'm sure I will share the results with you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment