Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Glass vs. Aluminum


     I always use glass bottles when mixing essential oils with water because (even when adding edible oils to my drinking water) because I have been told that oils adhere to and break down plastic.  (And they cling to Styrofoam and dissolve it because, I've been informed, oils cling to and try to eliminate synthetics--which is handy if you happen to have any synthetic substances in your body.)  

     So I make this great spray that I use for everything!  

General Cleaner: An 8 ounce glass spray bottle filled with water and 8 drops of On Guard.  

That's it, and I used it for tables, counter tops, cleaning hands (like sanitizer) and fruit and veggies (rub around and rinse), because it supposedly kills everything: bacteria, viruses, molds... and I believe it because I'm convinced that On Guard oil blend has stopped or reduced every cold that I've had for over a year.  



     I also heard that aluminum is good to use when adding essential oils.  So I bought some metal (I assumed aluminum but it didn't say anywhere on it what it was) and made some of the above spray to do some bathroom cleaning.  I doubled the strength, adding 16 drops of On Guard, and within one day, it didn't smell quite like On Guard anymore.  It still had some On Guard qualities to it, but it lacked, as far as I could tell, a cinnamon smell that is in On Guard.  So I smelled both, and even tasted both, and I'd say there was a definite difference in the metal container.

     My conclusion is that the metal interacted with the oils somehow, changing them.  It's never happened to me with glass before.  So from now on I will only use glass.  Anyone else have some insights on this subject?

Later note: I was told at a conference by another attendee that stainless steel also does not interact.  I'll have to try it!!

     


1 comment: